We all have accepted that Email service is more reliable for making any communication safe and secure in various needs. Through Email we can do our many individual and business related jobs easily, and it is a best medium of sharing information over the email network. I think! You all would know that, over the web market there are various email clients’ application which allows user to perform safe communication as according to their needs and all the applications saves information in their described file format. I have published this post to making you familiar with two popular email client’s application file formats which is: MBOX and PST.
MBOX vs PST
MBOX and PST both are email storage file formats and stores information such as: messages, calendar, contacts, notes and other elements in their supporting email client’s application. MBOX file format supporting email clients applications are Entourage, OperaMail, Thunderbird, MozillaMail, Spicebird, Apple Mail, Pocomail, Netscape, Incredimail, ClawsMail, Evolution, Eudora, Sylpheed, Mulberry, SeaMonkey, etc. PST or Personal Storage Table is one another email database file format which represent the information stored by Outlook email client application. So both file stores information but have a difference of their file formats and supporting email client application.
MBOX to PST Conversion: Reasons
As we know every email client application have fixed “format” for their files in which they stores entire database which user creates and stores at the time of using application. But have you ever thought? What is the word “migration” and “conversion” in email world and how both are attached with emails? Before knowing the reasons of MBOX file conversion I would like to request have a look on below paragraph where is mentioned about conversion and migration in email world.
Important Note: Conversion and migration both have same meaning in email platform and we use both techniques when wants to export data between two different email client applications.
Responsible reason of MBOX Conversion:
MBOX and PST both are different email file formats, and are capable for storing information of different email client applications. The migration need between these two highly popular email client applications takes place from various reasons and all the reasons almost depends on requirement.
Learn from Depth:
Requirement: Requirement is main reason behind any/every issue in email platform and if we are talking about MBOX file conversion then there are uncountable reasons which lead to conversion requirement such as:
User Requirement: Many times it happens, when user is using different email client application such as: Outlook Application and received files from other email client application like IBM Lotus Note. This is an example of MBOX conversion requirement because whenever we receive MBOX files in another email application then we have to do its conversion first, so that we can use it easily.
The requirement is also arise from other reasons such as: due to clients requirement, when need to repair corrupt MBOX file (some conversion application allow user to convert corrupt files into another email client application file format and make it accessible or usable in converted format).
MBOX to PST Free Conversion Process or Technique:
Now till you have read about what the MBOX files are and the popular email client application which used MBOX extension file format for storing various types of database. I think you also have gained knowledge about MBOX converter and reasons of its conversion from above paragraph. Now here you have new thing for learning and this is the technique of MBOX email file conversion. MBOX file many time need conversion into some other email file format but here I am sharing its manual conversion solution into an Outlook Email client application which used PST file format.
Before going to use manual conversion solution of MBOX files into an outlook PST format, I would like to request make you special attention on every step which I have mentioned below and before using manual steps make sure that you have taken backup of MBOX files.
Step by Step manual solution:
Step 1: You can start manual solution technique or methods after importing all mailbox data into an MBOX file format and below are some steps which will help you to import mailbox data into MBOX format easily:
- Install and launch Apple Mail application.
- Now go to File menu, and click on option of Import mailboxes.
- Select program and file from which you want to import the data.
- Now click on file in MBOX format option and then Continue button.
- It’s time to “Browse” the location where you saved the MBOX files.
- Then select the MBOX file which you want to import and click Choose to select the item(s) to import. Click Continue for next process.
- Click “Done” when the process completed and check all the imported mailbox data in the Import location of Apple Mail.
If you want to export MBOX file in MS outlook directly then it’s not possible, so you need to give some extra efforts with Eudora, MS Outlook Express and MS Outlook application.
Understand it deeply:
- Use Eudora to create MBOX files.
- Use Outlook Express to import the mailbox.
- Use MS Outlook to import mailbox from Outlook Express and this is the final process.
Understand both three steps in brief:
Step 2: Using Eudora
You have to use Eudora and some steps to achieve successful conversion of MBOX files manually , make sure that you have install Eudora application on your running system and then follow the steps mentioned below:
- Append the earlier imported MBOX file extension. Eg: if it is in “InboxMBOX”, rename it “inboxMBOX.mdx.
- Now move this file, i.e. “InboxMBOX.mbx”, to the directory(C:Documents and Settings<user>Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora) in which Eudora stores its files.
- Open Eudora on your system. In order to finalize creation of the mailbox, you need to double-click on the InboxMBOX.mbx file. After that you can close Eudora.
Step 4: Using Outlook Express
- Now Launch Outlook Express. Go to the File menu and click on Import > Messages….
- Chose Eudora from the list and click on Next.
- Browse the location in which you have saved or moved the InboxMBOX.mbx file, and then click on OK.
- Click on Next Tab> Next again and then Finish.
- You can find the imported mailbox in the Local Folders section of Outlook Express.
Step 5: Using MS Outlook
This is the final steps in which you need to import mailbox file from Outlook Express to Outlook and you can use below steps for doing this successfully.
- First open MS Outlook on your system, then click on File tab > Open.
- Click on Import section to go to Import and Export Wizard.
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses from the list and click on Next.
- Select the Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail option. The Import Mail option given there should be checked. Click on Next.
- Now find the imported mailbox in Outlook. It would be located in Outlook Today – [Personal Folders].
Manual Solution Limitation:
Time: Manual solution takes long time of user because it has many steps to follow and it takes user time more from their expectation.
Restriction in Conversion: Sometime manual technique doesn’t work as according to user’s requirement when they want to convert multiple MBOX files at a one time.
Difficult for Non technical: Manual solution need better technical skills of computer and some about email functions and if the user is new and have not any basic knowledge.
Unable to convert corrupt files: Manual solution only supports conversion of repaired files and if you are going to convert corrupt mbox file then you can’t get success.
Lack of surety: Manual solution has no surety about is it will work definitely or not!
MBOX to PST Easy Solution:
You have learned how can we convert MBOX files into an Outlook PST format manually and also about its limitations. Manual solution technique or MBOX to PST free conversion process is totally depends on your hand and on file status (Corrupt/Repair). If you are a non technical user and if the mailbox file is corrupt then it’s not possible to convert MBOX file manually.
But if you want to convert your entire MBOX files into an Outlook PST format without using manual technique then third party MBOX converter utility is the best option. Any commercial MBOX converter tool have various feature like they are able in performing multiple conversion at one time, supports conversion of both files either corrupt or not and many more. You can learn more about commercial tool and how much they are beneficial from the link: MBOX to PST Converter utility. Using the link you will also know how MBOX converter utility enable user to save MBOX files into some other popular email file format such as: MSG, EML, RTF and HTML.